Jump To Navigation

Fathers should fight for their right to joint custody

As a father going through the divorce process, it's natural to worry about the future relationship with your child or children.

There are many reasons for this worry, including concerns over custody. For example, you may worry that the court will award your ex-wife sole custody of your child.

Before we go any further, here are two important things to remember:

-- Joint custody is much more common than sole custody.

-- The court will always do what's in the best interest of your child, which typically means letting both parents have a relationship with the child in the future.

As you move forward with your divorce, matters of child custody will come to light. Most importantly is the decision of where the child will live, also known as physical custody.

Although the court may decide that the child should live with your ex-wife, this doesn't mean that you lose all your rights. For example, you can receive visitation, meaning that you are in position to spend a lot of time with your child, such as on the weekends and holidays.

What about sole custody?

The nice thing about joint custody is that you and the other parent will work together to raise the child. Furthermore, the children can maintain a relationship with both parents as they grow.

Sole custody, on the other hand, is completely different. With this, one parent is given the responsibility of raising the child. You want to fight against this at all costs, as this will make it much more difficult for you to remain a big part of your child's life.

Generally speaking, sole custody only comes into play when one parent is considered "dangerous" by the court. This could include everything from a history of domestic violence to drug abuse or alcoholism.

Unfortunately, it often appears that mothers receive the benefit of the doubt in regards to child custody cases. For this reason, you should devise a strategy that will allow you to fight for your rights.

With the help of an experienced family law attorney, you can come to better understand your situation and the steps you should take in the future. This will hopefully allow you to receive joint custody of your child.

Source: Nov. 30, -0001

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Subscribe to this blog's feed

Contact Information

Law Office of John E. Fitz-Gerald, L.L.C.
1 Lakeshore Dr, Suite 1230
Lake Charles, LA 70629

Phone: 337-494-1200
Fax: 337-494-1009
Lake Charles Law Office

Review Us

FindLaw Network

Do You Have A Case?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.