Jump To Navigation

Child support orders might need to be changed sometimes

Child support payments are vital for the child. These payments help ensure that the child has the necessities of life that he or she needs to survive. If you are paying child support and find that you are having trouble making those payments because your circumstances have changed since your previous order was issued, you might need to consider taking action to get a new child support order.

In order to change child support terms, you need to petition the court for a modification. The change that is ordered by the court can be either permanent or temporary, depending on the circumstances. This is one point that you should be sure to double check in the modification.

Child support modifications are appropriate when you have significant changes in your circumstances. This might be a job loss or a demotion. Even positive changes, such as a promotion, might necessitate a child support modification.

Modifications of child support aren't retroactive, so you need to petition the court as soon as you know of the need for a modification. Until a modification is granted, you need to continue making the child support payments. If you can't make the entire payment, pay as much as you can because the arrears won't be forgiven.

You and your ex might be able to work out an agreement about child support without having to go through a trial. This is often the best option since it is usually faster. Just remember that the court has to approve the order, so it must meet or exceed the current Louisiana child support laws.

Source: FindLaw, "Child Support Modification FAQ," accessed May 19, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Subscribe to this blog's feed

Contact Information

Law Office of John E. Fitz-Gerald, L.L.C.
1 Lakeshore Dr, Suite 1230
Lake Charles, LA 70629

Phone: 337-494-1200
Fax: 337-494-1009
Lake Charles Law Office

Review Us

FindLaw Network

Do You Have A Case?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.