Jump To Navigation

Know when you should file a child support modification petition

We recently discussed some of the changes that are coming with the governor's criminal justice reform bill. If you recall, one of these is that some inmates aren't going to have to pay child support while they are incarcerated. This is something that many people are debating; however, anyone can understand that inmates can't pay child support since they can't hold a gainful job.

We know that this isn't the only time when a parent might have difficulties paying child support. If you have a child support order and find that you can't make the payments, you might be able to have the child support order modified. We can help you learn about this possibility.

A child support modification isn't going to be retroactive, so you should file the modification petition as soon as you know that you will need to change the payments. If you are going to be laid off, for example, you can file when you get the layoff notice. The result might only be a temporary reduction in child support, but even that would likely be better than having to try to avoid your payments going past due.

The loss of a job or a pay cut are two other circumstances that might lead to this petition. If you are facing either of these, you need to make sure that you take steps to ensure that you can survive financially without having to go into arrears. If you do go into arrears, you are facing some potentially serious legal issues that could have been prevented with a successful modification petition.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Subscribe to this blog's feed

Contact Information

Law Office of John E. Fitz-Gerald, L.L.C.
1 Lakeshore Dr, Suite 1230
Lake Charles, LA 70629

Phone: 337-494-1200
Fax: 337-494-1009
Lake Charles Law Office

Review Us

FindLaw Network

Do You Have A Case?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.